Safety at Bayless
Safe Schools Act
In 1996, the Missouri legislature enacted the Safe Schools Act that mandates strict safety and discipline standards for all public schools in the state, including procedures for issuing some school incident reports to law enforcement officials. The Bayless School District annually publishes a discipline handbook that includes Safe School Act requirements. District policies, regulations and practices relating to student conduct, disciplinary procedures and consequences are included in the handbook. A discipline handbook is also provided to parents each fall and is available in the school office and on the school websites.
Emergency Response overview
The Bayless School District has implemented a comprehensive Emergency Response Information Plan, which includes safety/security procedures for numerous situations. We continue to work with local, county and federal officials to update district procedures in the event of an emergency.
Bayless teachers and staff work hard every day to make sure students feel safe when they are in school. Schools participate in a number of emergency drills every year, including regular fire drills, severe weather drills and safety lockdown drills. Some of the ways the Bayless Consolidated School District keeps safety a high priority for students and staff include:
- Bayless regularly reviews best practices for safety with law enforcement partners including the St. Louis County Police, United States Secret Service, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and various education groups.
- Students and staff participate in yearly 4E (Educate, Evade, Escape, Engage) intruder training.
- Each school has access control systems for security.
- Intruder alarms and video surveillance are installed in every building.
- Ongoing training with district staff prepares them for multiple hazards, including fires, severe weather, intruders, etc.
- The district meets periodically with local law enforcement agencies to keep current on best practices for safety and security.
- School Resource Officers are posted at schools on both sides of Weber Road.
- Yearly CPR/AED certification training is available for staff members. AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators) are located in every school.